Schlitz Beer 1960's Recipe

A place for general talk.

Moderators: Judge, Mr Boozificator, NYDingbat, Giles Humbert III, steved2112, Barca, Palinka

Re: Schlitz Beer 1960's Recipe

Postby waahoohah » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I've tried it. I like it, but I can get beer that's 80% as good for 60% of the money.
Oh, that? Yeah, I did that, it's my fault. I'm sorry.
waahoohah
Chugging Like Churchill
Chugging Like Churchill

Postby John Barleycorn » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 pm

I need to compare this stuff with the normal Schlitz. A place near me is selling 12 bottles for 8.99 and I guess I can give that a try.
John Barleycorn
Ten Feet Tall and Bulletproof

Postby coqui_chris » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:34 pm

Its aiiight
"To avoid criticism: Do nothing, Say nothing, Be nothing" - Fred Shero

"You hear players, media people say it's tough to play in Philly in front of these fans. To those people, I say, you didn't have the guts to succeed here." - John Kruk
coqui_chris
Drinking Like W.C.
Drinking Like W.C.

Postby John Barleycorn » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:56 pm

AlabamaGhost wrote:It might be a little much of a request from a modern drunkard, but is anyone able to actually compare it to what was produced in the 1960's?

I'll share the story my mom told me. She was visiting Milwaukee and toured the brewery in the 1960s. At the end of the tour both she and her companion were given a free 6 pack of beer. The next thing they did was decide to row a boat out into lake Michigan. They put the beer on ice, rowed out, and after each having 2 beers they puked. Evidently they got a bad batch. When they went back to the brewery to complain they were given a free case.

On a more serious note. Schlitz was surpassed by Budweiser as the most popular national brand in the 1970s. Afterwards it got purchased by Strohs, which in got purchased by G. Heileman, which ultimately was purchased by Pabst (IIRC). The funny thing about the business is that a company gets bought out but often the new owner uses the old brand. At one point I couldn't distinguish any difference in taste between PBR, Old Style, and Schlitz. It very well may have been because the brewer was putting the same stuff in all the cans.
John Barleycorn

Postby BigDog49 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:18 pm

I remember it was about three years ago and I was at a bar in Springfield, Ohio and the place was full of Schiltz advertisements. Old school tin signs with SCHLITZ emblazoned on them, coasters that had SCHLITZ written on them, even vintage advertisements above the urinals. So naturally I ordered one and the bartender looked me square in the eye and uttered: "We don't serve that here."
BigDog49
Inebriate Savant
Inebriate Savant

Postby Savage » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 am

Well, all I know is, there was a time when there was no such thing as Light beer (diet beer?) I mean, if you wanted a beer, you got a beer, not some watered down crap. But then again, I remember when tvs had tubes, and my daddy would put down his budweiser with the short neck, and we would pile into the station wagon to the Thrifty drug store, and I would hand Daddy the tv tubes as he tested them in the tube testing machine (don't remember what it was called). Afterwards, we got a cylinder of ice cream on a cup cone, that cost five cents. Damn. This sounds like I lived through the depression, doesn't it?
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

I fight depression every day. Most days, depression wins.
Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Postby Mr Boozificator » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:45 am

Savage wrote:Well, all I know is, there was a time when there was no such thing as Light beer (diet beer?) I mean, if you wanted a beer, you got a beer, not some watered down crap. But then again, I remember when tvs had tubes, and my daddy would put down his budweiser with the short neck, and we would pile into the station wagon to the Thrifty drug store, and I would hand Daddy the tv tubes as he tested them in the tube testing machine (don't remember what it was called). Afterwards, we got a cylinder of ice cream on a cup cone, that cost five cents. Damn. This sounds like I lived through the depression, doesn't it?

Was this before or after you shook hands with Lincoln?
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

An alcoholic is someone who drinks just as much as you do but whom you don't like.

The prince of darkness is a gentleman. William Shakespeare.
Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Postby Savage » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 am

Mr Boozificator wrote:
Savage wrote:Well, all I know is, there was a time when there was no such thing as Light beer (diet beer?) I mean, if you wanted a beer, you got a beer, not some watered down crap. But then again, I remember when tvs had tubes, and my daddy would put down his budweiser with the short neck, and we would pile into the station wagon to the Thrifty drug store, and I would hand Daddy the tv tubes as he tested them in the tube testing machine (don't remember what it was called). Afterwards, we got a cylinder of ice cream on a cup cone, that cost five cents. Damn. This sounds like I lived through the depression, doesn't it?

Well, no. It was probably around the time that you came on to Marie Antionette, and she shot you down so hard, you couldn't even look at a girl for ages, without curling up and whimpering.
Clowns to the left of me
Jokers to the right
Here I am
Stuck in the middle with you

I fight depression every day. Most days, depression wins.
Savage
Juicing Like Jackie
Juicing Like Jackie

Postby Mr Boozificator » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:08 am

Savage wrote:
Mr Boozificator wrote:

Well, no. It was probably around the time that you came on to Marie Antionette, and she shot you down so hard, you couldn't even look at a girl for ages, without curling up and whimpering.

A number of waitresses and two syphilis spreads testify the fact that this story was but a legend.
Now the incident with Empress Sissi and the contorsionist girl, well, let's not talk about that.
"I never want to go to bed if there are still beers in the fridge, but then I am always hopeful that there are beers left in there when I wake up.". Thirstydrunk.

An alcoholic is someone who drinks just as much as you do but whom you don't like.

The prince of darkness is a gentleman. William Shakespeare.
Mr Boozificator
Boozing Like Bukowski
Boozing Like Bukowski

Return to The Pub