I know this one, in fact most of us probably do, but that makes it no less irritating. The frustration inherent in being judged just for enjoying drinking is imense. Many have judged me, and yet on the occasions that they do drink, it is normally me that has to help them out because they don't know how to drink.
Having given thought about this matter several points occured to me:
1. Yes, I drink a lot more than them
2. Yes, I do have a better job than them
3. Yes, I am better qualified than them
4. Yes, I do lead a fuller and more rewarding life
5. Yes, I am capable of surviving on my own in a foreign country while they are dependent upon the assistance of others
6. Yes, and this is the big one, I do enjoy my life much more than them.
Having realised that all of this is true, I leared to just laugh in the face of anyone who challenges me on this. The smartest folk I know are always the heaviest drinkers, not because drinking is inherently clever, but because the people who can achieve the most can do so whilst still enjoying life, and let's face it drinking is fun. It is for this reason that I often avoid the larger bars, and become a hermit through choice whenever an amature night (Christmas Eve, New Year, any public holiday) rears it head so that I can avoid most of the horrendously hypocritical fuckwits that converge on bars at these times.
"If moderation is the key to the door then indulgence is the fucking chainsaw" One of the greatest men to ever live.